Basically, link building is the practice of getting links pointing back to your website. All business owners and marketers should consider link building as part of their marketing strategy. It drives referral traffic to their websites and increases their authority.
How does building links benefit you? Although Google’s algorithms are complex and constantly evolving, they still use backlinks to determine which websites rank for particular keywords. An important part of search engine optimization (SEO) is building links to your site to tell search engine crawlers that you have a quality resource worth mentioning. In turn, more backlinks mean higher rankings.
There are, however, right and wrong ways to build links to your site. If you want your website to remain viable over the long run, you should engage in natural linkbuilding, as opposed to buying links (also known as black-hat SEO, a practice that can lead to your website being banned from search engine results).
Creating organic, natural links is, however, a challenging, time-consuming process. It is more difficult to gain good links, such as one from the Wall Street Journal, than it is to gain uninformative links, and these links positively affect your ranking on the SERPs.
The information in this guide will help you create quality links that will assist your organic search engine ranking without breaking Google’s guidelines. Link building is critical for ranking high in organic search results. Try out LinkLifting.com backlinks for best results.
Building links can help your search engine optimization
Links determine the ranking of a web page on Google. Google states:
Webmasters can improve the ranking of their site by gaining high-quality links from other high-quality sites.”
Our company owns a website that promotes the wind turbine equipment we sell. Our company represents the company that owns the website. Google uses the popularity of links within our pages to determine the ranking of our pages.
The example above illustrates, in a very basic manner, why link building is important, but it does not elaborate on the subject. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Trustworthiness and authority of a link.
- Content optimization and search engine optimization on both sites.
- Anchor text appears on incoming links.
The following resources explain PageRank in more detail:
- PageRank as it originally appeared
- The formula for PageRank is explained in detail
- The Wikipedia page for it can be found here
Simple strategies for attracting other websites to link to your website
There are a variety of link building techniques you can employ in order to generate links to your website from external websites:
- Creating and promoting content – Create engaging, high-quality, unique content that people will link to and reference. If you want your content to be discovered and linked to, you have to spread the word!
- Reviews and mentions – Get your products, services, or website in front of influential influencers, including bloggers or social media influencers.
- Your Friends & Co-Workers – Promote your website to your friends and colleagues. There is a difference between relevant and irrelevant backlinks; links from sites with which you share a common interest will be more valuable than links from unrelated, random sites.
Be patient when building links, and don’t go looking for shortcuts, such as buying links, which are against Google’s guidelines and may have adverse effects on your SEO. This is not something you should take a chance with.